The Churchville-Chili Senior High Chapter of National Honor Society has selected chemistry teacher Richard Strasser as the 2020 Churchville Chili Teacher of the Year. This is a very special honor for any teacher, as the recognition comes from students.
Strasser is passionate about chemistry and students. In addition to being an outstanding teacher, he has been the coach of the Varsity girls’ cross-country team for over 13 years. This season, the girls went 12-0, completing the only undefeated league season in history for the Saints girls’ XC program. Strasser will be the guest speaker at the 2020 NHS Induction Ceremony, currently scheduled for October 26.
Here are excerpts from several student nominations:
- “Throughout this quarantine, he has been great. We have daily Zoom meetings for our AP Chemistry class. They mean a lot to me because chemistry is really difficult for me and he does a really good job teaching while we aren't in the classroom. It means a lot to have a teacher of mine putting forth this effort.”
- “Mr. Strasser puts careful thought into his assignments, challenges his students to work hard and shows his passion for chemistry in his detailed lessons. He spends more time working with students after school than any other teacher I know.”
- “Even before COVID-19, Mr. Strasser always was helpful to students, he always stayed after school and made class enjoyable. Mr. Strasser also cares a lot about all his students and he always has a smile on his face, which brightens a lot of people’s day. I always look forward to going to his class because he makes my day better when I see him.”
- “He goes out of his way to make sure students understand the material, with in-school and after school availability. He holds his students in high regard and pushes them to be better.”
- “Coach Strasser approaches cross country from a unique perspective… He sets clear goals and establishes, from the beginning, that his primary objective is to succeed in the championship season. His workouts are very intentional, so as to ensure that his athletes are in top physical condition but are not overtraining and at risk of injury. Strass is an incredible coach and I am thankful for how he helped me to grow as a runner and as a person.”
Congratulations to Mr. Strasser: a truly amazing teacher!