Welcome to Physical Education at Churchville Elementary School. It is our goal to create a fun, safe and physically active environment to assist our young people in making wise and healthy decisions about their body and enable them gain a greater appreciation for living a healthy life style. Following the three guidelines below will help us achieve this goal!
- Students need to wear sneakers in order to participate in class. It is helpful to have students wear Velcro fastening sneakers if they are unable to tie their own shoe.
- Students should wear clothes which allow them to participate in physical activities: dresses, skirts and jewelry should be avoided.
- Students will be expected to actively participate in class unless they have a note from home, family doctor or the school nurse.
New York State Physical Education Standards
- Personal Health and Fitness: Students will have the necessary knowledge and skills to establish and maintain physical fitness, participate in physical activity, and maintain personal health.
- A Safe and Healthy Environment: Students will acquire the knowledge and ability necessary to create and maintain safe and healthy environment.
- Resource Management: Students will understand and be able to manage their personal and community resources.
Why do children need Physical Education?
Physical Education helps improve a child’s overall health by increasing:
- Cardiovascular endurance
- Muscular strength and power
- Muscular endurance
- Weight regulation
- Improved bone development
- Improved posture
- Skillful moving
- Increased mental alertness
- Active lifestyle habits
- Constructive use of leisure time
Physical Education helps improve a child’s mental alertness, academic performance, readiness to learn, and enthusiasm for learning.
Grades K thru 4 - sneakers and clothing which allows full and free movement (no dresses, please). For safety reasons sneakers that tie or have Velcro straps are required.
Outside activities are planned until November for grades 3 and 4. Sweatpants and sweatshirts are recommended on colder days.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at CES 293-2022 ext. 7160.
Mrs. Elnicky and Mrs. Matsko