The School Counseling Program at Chestnut Ridge Elementary School offers individual and group counseling services. Through counseling, children become more aware of their behaviors and feelings, better able to express themselves, discuss their concerns, and learn and practice various strategies to cope with these concerns.
Both individual and group counseling services are available to all students.
Individual counseling can be on a regular basis (scheduled weekly or bi-weekly meetings), or on an as-needed basis (when situational concerns arise). Parents will be contacted if their child is invited to participate in regular counseling services.
Counseling referrals may originate from teachers, administrators, parents, or students themselves...
- Students often come speak to me themselves if they need extra support with a problem or a worry. In order to do so, they may speak to their teacher first about coming down.
- Parents can contact me directly via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (889-2188, extension 6120) with questions, concerns, or a referral.
- Teachers and administrators will also contact me with behavioral, emotional, or social concerns they may have about students.
- Teachers have opportunities throughout the year to refer students for specific small group counseling focusing on various topics. If your child is referred for a group, you will receive a letter in the mail.
I meet with students regarding a variety concerns, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Family changes: divorce/separation/newly blended families
- Self-control/ Coping with ADD/ADHD
- Coping with Anxiety
- Anger management
- Social skills
- Self esteem
- Conflict resolution
- Student confidence in academic/study skills